Patients of Westmoreland Chiropractic & Rehab Associates usually ask how a chiropractor relieves back pain. They also ask other questions to understand how chiropractic care in Greensburg and Export, PA, can help them improve spine health and live an active lifestyle.
Why Chiropractic Care for Back Pain Relief?
Chiropractors are back pain specialists. Unlike other doctors, chiropractors relieve back pain by correcting dysfunction within the nervous system. The system is made up of the spinal cord and brain. The two send sensory and motor messages back and forth. So, when someone experiences chronic pain and reduced mobility, it is usually a sign that something is disrupting communication between the brain and spine.
Spinal adjustment, or spinal manipulation, is the standard method for alleviating pain affecting the upper, mid, or lower back and regulating nervous system function. Our chiropractic physicians will use their hands or an instrument to reposition the misaligned segment of the spine.
Common Back Conditions that Cause Pain
The back houses the spine, which is a complex structure of bones, discs, nerves, and connective tissue. The spinal column is rigid enough to keep the body upright yet flexible enough to allow bending, twisting, and side to side movements. Meanwhile, the intervertebral disc help absorb shock during movement.
Despite being remarkably engineered, the spine is susceptible to overuse injury, trauma, and deterioration. More importantly, when pain strikes and persists past twelve weeks, it is a telltale sign of an underlying condition. Common conditions include muscle strains or sprains, sciatica, bulging, or herniated disc, and:
- Spinal osteoarthritis
- Scoliosis or deeply curved spine
- Facet joint syndrome
- Degenerative diseases, like spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis
- Structural imbalances causing back strain, like a deep foot arch
How Our Chiropractors in Greensburg and Export, PA, Relieves Back Pain
Here are some of the primary treatments that we use to help eliminate pain and strengthen the spine:
- Spinal adjustment: Our chiropractors are versed in the diversified, activator, and other non-surgical techniques used to correct vertebral subluxation (misalignment) and reduce pain.
- Spinal decompression therapy: Applying motorized traction or distractive force to the spine increases disc space and repositions a herniated disc, which eases the pressure on the nerve and relieves pinched nerve symptoms such as numbness and tingling.
- Adjunct therapies: Adding ultrasound therapy and corrective exercises to your personalized treatment plan help to speed up healing, reduce inflammation, and increase joint flexibility.
- Nutritional counseling: Eating right and taking nutritive supplements can reduce inflammation and ward off back pain.
- Custom orthotics: We may recommend Footlevelers orthotics to improve your gait and reduce pressure on your back.
Contact Westmoreland Chiropractic & Rehab Associates